Makes 3 servings
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons rice flour (gf flour or regular flour)
- ½ – 1 cup milk (or milk alternative) (see step 2*)
- pinch of salt
- Fresh berries
- Blueberry compote
- Almond butter
- Small drizzle of honey or jam
- Heat waffle iron
- Mix all ingredients in a blender, add milk slowly to achieve desired thickness. The batter should be thick*.
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick olive oil spray. Pour the batter into waffle iron, nearly filling the area (be sure to allow room for batter to spread). When the surface of the waffles looks toasty brown and crips, remove waffle gently from iron.
- Allow the waffle to cool while you cook the rest of the batter.
- Once waffles are cool, top with your favourite sliced fruit, berries, compote or for an added protein kick spread almond butter on top. These can also be made into sandwiches and packed in school lunches or your back pocket on your next long bike ride.
Note: If you are not using them right away, separate waffles with sheets of wax paper and store in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer. Toast to reheat before serving.
Nutrition per serving (1/3rd of recipe): calories: 346 cal, fat: 5g, carbs 61g, fibre 1g, protein 11g.