- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoons water
Place blueberries, cinnamon, sugar, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of water in a saucepan. Bring blueberry mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Put the cover on and simmer until blueberries release their juices and begin to break apart, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add the cornstarch to 1 tablespoon of water and stir to dissolve. Add to saucepan and stir until mixture thickens, about 2 more minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool, or serve warm, spooned over natural Greek yogurt or blueberry pancakes.
Yield: About 1 cup compote.
Notes: The compote will keep for a week in the refrigerator.