These are fantastic sports fuel for the athlete or a great snack for kids before a soccer game, swim meet or any sporting activity.
Yield – 14-15 balls
Vegan, Gluten Free (if use gluten free oats)
- 1 cup (~220 g) dates, pitted (if dry, soak in warm water for 5 minutes, then drain well)
- 3 Tbsp all natural almond butter
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds (or sub flax or hemp seeds)
- ¼ cup craisins
- 2/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
- Pulse pumpkin seeds in food processor.
- Add the dates and pulse until they’re in small pieces or it forms a ball
- Add oats, craisins, and almond butter and pulse or mix until combined. Don’t over process.
- Roll into 1-inch balls (30 grams per ball), using the warmth of your hands to mould them together.
- To set, pop in fridge or freezer for 15 minutes. Store in an air-tight bag or container for up to a week. Freeze for longer term storage.
Nutritional facts: Per ball: calories: 108 kcals; carbohydrates: 19 grams; Protein: 2.5 grams, Fat: 3 grams.
First published in Impact Magazine: http://impactmagazine.ca/nutrition/recipes/date-energy-balls/