- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices cooked nitrate-free bacon, crumbled or chopped
- 1 bunch of kale, trimmed and shredded
- 4 dozen Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese (optional)
- Cook and crumble the bacon.
- Mince the shallots, place in a bowl and squeeze the juice of the lemon and orange overtop. Pour the oil into the bowl in a steady stream, whisking to form an emulsion. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using a mandoline, shave the Brussels sprouts (not including the stems) into thin slices to make a shredded/slaw texture. Remove the woody stems of the kale and shred finely with a knife.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse until chopped coarsely. Add almonds, pecorino, and bacon to the shredded Brussels sprouts; toss to combine. Dress the salad about 30 minutes to one hour before serving, if time allows. Enjoy!